They say 90 percent of pregnant women will get stretch marks during the nine-month period. It doesn’t matter if it runs in the family or not. The rapid stretching of your skin will cause these marks to show up and say hello to world.
Stretch marks are harmless and do not pose a serious medical condition. On the other hand, these lines on your skin could take a toll in your self-esteem, especially after you give birth. Thankfully, there are tons of creams for stretch marks available to help you address this condition.
The challenge now is finding the best stretch mark creams on the market by choosing one among the 16 of the best as revealed by pregnant women.
1. “Hello, It’s Me:” Stretch Marks’ Introduction to Your Body
First, start in the getting to know stretch marks stage. Before you find out all about the best stretch mark cream available, it is advisable to know what these marks are, how they form, and if there are ways to prevent them. At the same time, you need to know the treatment options available to help you evaluate the best option for you and your skin.
Stretch Marks Revealed
Stretch marks or striae are form of skin scarring that comes from rapid stretching of skin. Some of the common causes are:
- Family history
- Rapid weight gain
- Growth spurts during puberty
- Sudden body changes due to bodybuilding and other physical activities
- Heavy or long-term use of corticosteroids
Keep in mind that your body can only handle so much stretching. When any of these conditions happen, the connective fibers in your skin particularly in the dermis, break down and eventually disrupt collagen production. This leads to scarring, especially in the abdominal area, hips, thighs, arms, chest, and buttocks.
Thankfully, there are creams for stretch marks available in the market to help minimize their appearance. Read the next section to learn more about this product, plus get to know the best stretch mark removal creams you can try.
2. Get to Know the Best Ingredients Your Stretch Mark Cream Should Have
The truth is not all stretch mark creams are created equally. Some work, while there are many others who will only waste your time, money, and effort. Nonetheless, they follow the same principle: to reduce, if not eliminate the appearance of stretch marks.
Therefore, a good stretch mark cream should have at least one or more of these ingredients:
- Aloe Vera – The mixture of water and polysaccharides helps heal your skin and keep it soft and smooth.
- Collagen – Having this ingredient helps bring elasticity and moisture back to your skin, thereby preventing stretch marks.
- Elastin – This protein also helps bring elasticity back to your skin tissues.
- Lecithin – It is a natural emulsifier that protects your skin from depletion.
- Vitamin E – Also known as skin vitamin, vitamin E is an antioxidant nutrient that nourishes your skin cells and helps improve your skin’s elasticity.
Aside from these, some of the other common ingredients found in stretch mark creams are grape seed extract, vitamin K, cocoa butter, shea butter and emu oil.
A piece of advice: take time to read the label and check the ingredients portion. Make sure that your chosen stretch mark cream contains natural and safe ingredients to minimize complications in the future.
3. The Biggest Question of All: The Effectiveness of a Stretch Mark Cream for Your Skin
Here comes the biggest question asked by many: are stretch mark creams effective? The answer is, it depends on the type of product and the ingredients you used to minimize their appearance.
A study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science revealed that 34 percent of pregnant women who applied cream with alpha tocopherol, gotu kola extract and collage-elastin enzymes developed stretch marks. This is lower compared to 56 percent of women who didn’t apply for anything.
In other words, reducing the appearance of stretch marks depends on various factors, but your chosen cream could play an important role in minimizing them. When it comes to the best stretch mark prevention creams, pregnant women know better. Below are their recommendations.
4. Revitol Stretch Mark Cream: A Cream Worth Trying
There are tons of stretch mark creams sold in the market, but one name will always be part of the list of favorites: Revitol.
Revitol stretch mark cream is made from special blend of 100 percent natural ingredients that helps rejuvenate your skin, and fill it with vitamins and nutrients to repair damaged tissue. The best news is, the natural and non-allergenic ingredients were approved by the FDA.
Many users swear by this stretch mark cream and claimed how it helped improved the appearance of their stripes. Simply apply this twice a day regularly and you will see a noticeable improvement in your scars in as little as three months.
Revitol doesn’t have authorized resellers online, so make sure you purchase directly from the manufacturer. Otherwise, there is a higher risk that you might get a fake one – and you don’t want that to happen.
5. Add Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy Cream in Your List of Must Try Creams
Another crowd favorite and highly-recommended by pharmacists is Mederma. It is designed to treat existing marks by lightening their color and smoothing out the texture. At the same time, Mederma prevents new ones from appearing.
Users have high praises for Mederma because it is safe to use during pregnancy and works well for moms who are breastfeeding. It also comes with a floral scent, which adds to its strength points.
There are users saying that you can see the effects of Mederma after four weeks of daily and regular application. On the other hand, you will need at least three months before you see noticeable improvement in your stretch marks.
Here comes the best part: 5.29 ounces of Mederma cream will only cost you around $32, which is still more affordable compared to a surface treatment like a chemical peel or laser.
6. Sieva Stretch Mark and Scar Cream: The Best Stretch Mark Creams for Old Stretch Marks
Let’s say you have old scars you want to eliminate. You tried natural remedies, such as lemon, but they didn’t work. What is your remedy? Try Sieva Skincare Stretch Mark and Scar Removal cream.
The ingredients themselves will tell you that this is a formula worth trying:
- Jojoba Oil
- Vitamin E
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Butter
- Rosehip Oil
- Olive Oil
These ingredients work well together and helps repair your skin. It also enhances your skin’s natural repair process. This is the best part: this particular stretch mark cream can work on both new and old, silver-toned scars. You are guaranteed with 100 percent satisfaction too.
7. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula: An Affordable Solution for Budget-Friendly Women
This is the beauty of using stretch mark creams. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on procedures that may or may not work, you get an alternative that is more affordable and yet, effective.
Take the case of Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Tummy Butter for Stretch Marks. For many years, mothers passed on their anti-stretch marks tip to their daughters by using Palmer’s products. One of the classic and most effective solutions is the tummy butter formula.
For less than $20, the tummy butter formula helps treat stretch marks before and after pregnancy, thanks to its collagen, elastin, and vitamin E content. This is also ideal in case you have sensitive skin, plus the lavender scent helps you relax.
8. TriLASTIN-SR Intensive Stretch Mark Cream: Your Trusted Expert on Marks on Your Skin
Have you seen this product featured on the Tyra Banks Show? It must’ve done something good to deserve air time. By something good, it turns out that TriLASTIN-SR was clinically proven to reduce stretch marks appearance in as little as three weeks.
That’s not all. This particular stretch mark cream is hypoallergenic, paraben-free, and perfume-free. You also don’t have to worry about staining your clothes since it comes with non-greasy formula as well.
In other words, if you want a stretch marks cream that is backed up by guarantee and 100 percent satisfaction, then this product might just be what you are looking for. Don’t worry. This product won’t disappoint.
Here’s the catch: this cream for your stripes might cost you a lot since a tube costs almost $78. If you want to get the best results, you might need its hydro-thermal accelerator, which means additional cost as well.
9. Splurge on the Best Stretch Mark Cream by Trying StriVectin-SD Cream
What is your criteria of the best stretch mark removal creams? Aside from the ingredients, it is important to look into the brand’s history of clinical trials and testing to check the effectiveness of the product.
This is where StriVectin-SD Intensive Concentrate for Stretch Marks and Wrinkles cream comes in.
StriVectin is one of the leading names in the world of best stretch marks removal creams. In fact, it can do the following:
- Improves the appearance of stretch marks with visible results as early as two weeks.
- The NIA-114 content strengthens and rebuilds your skin barrier.
- This cream works well with collagen-building peptides.
- Enhances and improves your skin tone’s elasticity.
If you want better and longer-lasting results for only $139, consider StriVectin’s tightening body cream in your daily routine. You might have to pay for the body cream separately.
There are still more pregnant women-approved stretch mark creams below, so make sure you read until the end to know your options. Plus, there are tips on how to choose the best stretch mark creams, so read until the finish line.
10. Say Goodbye to Stretch Marks Naturally with DreamBelly Stretch Mark Cream for Pregnancy
Are you currently expecting? What cream are you using to prevent stretch marks formation? Whether you have one already or not, it is important that you choose a product that is natural and safe for your unborn child.
This is why you should consider DreamBelly.
DreamBelly is a stretch marks cream designed specifically for pregnant women; although non-pregnant individuals can also use this. If you recently gave birth, then this product is also worth trying to improve and tone your skin post-delivery.
Here are some of the key ingredients:
- Vitamin E
- Rosehip Oil
- Aloe Vera
- Grape Seed Extract
You will surely love DreamBelly because of its pleasant smell. The texture of your skin will likewise change. The texture of the cream is thick, although it won’t be sticky once you applied it on your skin. DreamBelly costs $55 for four ounces and often comes with beauty brush set.
11. For Sensitive Skin: Try Cerave Intensive Stretch Marks Cream
The human skin comes with different skin types. One of the most challenging skin type is sensitive skin.
If you are looking for a cream that could work well on your sensitive skin, then Cerave is your top choice. Cerave has hypoallergenic formulation, which means no fragrances, parabens, perfume, and phthalates. It also contains natural and active ingredients like argan oil and ceramides.
Here comes the best part: if you don’t have much time re-applying stretch marks cream regularly, then this is the best option for you. Cerave uses MVE delivery technology, which means it controls the release of ingredients over time after applying it on your skin. This also means you only need to apply this cream once a day without compromising the effects.
Don’t worry too much about the cost. Five ounces of Cerave intensive stretch marks cream only costs $19.99, which makes it not too heavy on your pocket.
There are few more creams for stretch marks you should consider, so read until the end.
12. Skinception Intensive Stretch Mark Therapy: Affordability and Effectiveness Combined in a Bottle
You already know a few stretch mark cream that could do wonders to your stripes. If you still haven’t found what you are looking for, then maybe you should consider this next product: Skinception.
The main active ingredient of this highly-recommended stretch mark therapy is darutoside, which reduces the length of your existing stretch marks. It is also formulated with natural and herbal ingredients, which makes it both for pregnant and non-pregnant individuals.
If you are looking for another reason why you should make a switch, then you should know that Skinception can prevent future occurrences of stretch marks.
Don’t worry. If the product didn’t work for you, the manufacturer offers a 90-day money-back guarantee. This means you don’t have to use – and pay – for a product that doesn’t work well on your skin. Now, that is a win-win situation.
13. Art Naturals: Your Natural Treatment Option if You are on a Budget
It may be hard to look for an all-natural stretch mark cream that is within your budget. Luckily, there is an option.
Say hello to Art Naturals Stretch Mark and Scar Removal Cream.
For only $15.95, this product works well on both scars and stretch marks. It also comes with 100-percent satisfaction guarantee, so you are sure you are getting a quality product. If you are the type of shopper who enjoys shopping responsibly, Art Naturals stretch mark cream is Free Trade Certified.
In other words, if you are on a budget, wants an all-natural product, can work well with stretch marks and scars, and comes with 100 percent guaranteed satisfaction, then this product is worth trying.
14. Say Yes to Natural Stretch Marks Product by Trying Maroc100 Rose Hydration Stretch Mark Cream
How can you say no to natural ingredients? Aside from the fact that it is natural, there is a lower risk of experiencing unwanted side effects. At the same time, you get to feed your skin with chemical-free contents, so you don’t have to worry too much about complications in the future.
This is what Maroc100 stretch mark cream is all about. A product created by husband and wife tandem, Maroc 100 Rose Hydration stretch mark cream uses only natural and organic ingredients such as:
- Japanese green tea extract for soothing relief.
- Argan oil to hydrate your skin.
- Blue green algae to boost skin cell turnover.
- Shea butter to moisturize your skin.
The best part is users who bought this product gave nothing but positive reviews and feedback. After all, there is no harm in going natural.
15. Tips to Remember in Choosing the Best Stretch Mark Creams
Despite their recommendations, you might still have your own set of choices when it comes to choosing the best cream for stretch marks.
To help you narrow your choices, here are tips you should remember when choosing the best stretch mark cream for you:
- Read Labels: Make it a point to read the label, especially the ingredients portion.
- Find Reviews: Take time to find and read the best stretch mark creams reviews to help you in making a shortlist.
- Think Skin Type: Choose a stretch mark cream that works well with your skin type.
- Look at the Company: Go for reputable and trusted brands manufactured by reputable companies.
- Think Safety: Check for any clinical trials to ensure the safety and effectiveness of a particular cream.
- Price Matters: Don’t forget to consider the price and make sure you are getting the most out of your money.
- Ask Your Doctor: Ask for recommendations from your doctor about the best lotion to remove, or at least reduce the appearance of your marks.
- Do Discounts: When ordering online, take advantage of the freebies and discounts, such as free shipping and promo codes. This will help you save extra cash, as well.
- Money Back Guarantee: Buy stretch mark cream from a reputable website that offers a money back guarantee or return policy. This way, you won’t be forced to try a product – and finish the entire tube – for something that may not work for you.
16. Say No to Unwanted Marks on Your Skin Even Before They Form
Stretch marks may be permanent, but this doesn’t mean you cannot prevent them. There are several ways you can make sure they won’t make an appearance.
Here are preventive tips you should take note of to stop marks from even forming:
- Treat your stretch marks early. Don’t wait for them to appear before you use stretch mark creams.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Drinking at least six to eight glasses of water is good for your skin. Hydration is an important factor that helps keep your skin elastic.
- Massage stretch marks-prone areas. This helps to enhance blood circulation and promote growth of new tissue.
- Watch your weight. Eat healthy to make sure you maintain a healthy number on your scale.
- Exercise during pregnancy. This could help you retain your skin’s elasticity and improve blood circulation.
- Go for a balanced diet. Eat foods rich in vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that helps keep your skin supple.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals. Avoid synthetic skin products to maintain your skin’s elasticity and avoid irritation.
- Moisturize your skin regularly. This will help you keep your skin hydrated at all times.
The bottom line is, you don’t have to live and deal with your stripes because there are preventive techniques available. Challenge yourself and do something to prevent stretch marks from forming.
The Most Important Tip for You to Remember
When it comes to stretch marks prevention, here is the most important tip to remember: be realistic.
You will never run out of stretch mark creams, and the market will constantly introduce new products that claim theirs are “better than ever” in improving the appearance of stretch marks. Unfortunately, creams for stretch marks do not have spells and magic, and you also need to do your part to make sure these unwanted marks won’t make an appearance.
Therefore, set realistic expectations. Set reachable goals and don’t expect creams to make your marks magically disappear. Remind yourself that there are products that may not work for you – and that’s fine.
At the same time, finding the best stretch mark creams can be a challenging experience. Once you found the right one for you, make sure you stick to it and don’t let go.