Once upon a time, acne decided to pay you a visit. You were successful in making those bumps go away; however, they decided to leave facial marks behind in the form of scars. This does not pose any serious threat to your health, but it is starting to take a toll on your overall confidence.
What can you do?
The good news is, there are various ways on how to get rid of scars on face. Some may be tricky to remove, some may not show results immediately, and there are others that you can swear by because of how effective they are. Nonetheless, these 16 techniques are a good way to help you start with getting rid of scar on your face:
1. Lemon Juice: Your Skin’s First Line of Defense Against Acne Scars
When it comes to scar treatment, lemon will always make it on the list. One of nature’s best gifts, lemon helps treat and minimize the appearance of scars, thanks to its powerful ingredients. It contains L-ascorbic acid, a common astringent that dries out pimple inflammation. Lemon also comes with antibacterial properties that fight acne-causing bacteria.
Here’s how to use it:
- Squeeze the juice out of half lemon.
- Dip a cotton ball on the juice and apply it on affected areas in your face.
- Let it dry on your skin for 30 minutes then rinse with warm water.
Do every night for the next two to three weeks to treat scars and you will see an improvement in your scar’s appearance.
2. You Can Never Go Wrong with This Household Staple for Getting Rid of Scars
Baking soda is a favorite household ingredient because of its many uses. Aside from cooking and baking, did you know that baking soda is among the best scar removing agents discovered?
Baking soda is an effective shedding agent to minimize the appearance of scars. At the same time, it contains sodium bicarbonate crystals that help exfoliate your skin and reduce facial scarring.
Make sure you don’t use baking soda as it is. Here is the proper way on how you can maximize the effects of baking soda against scarred areas in your face:
- In a small bowl, mix two to three teaspoons of baking soda and two teaspoons of water.
- Mix well until it forms into a thick paste.
- Massage the mixture on your face, concentrating on affected areas, in circular motion.
- Let it stay on your skin for three minutes before rinsing with cool water.
Do this once every other day to reveal a smoother, more glowing skin.
This is just the beginning. Keep reading to find out how to get rid of scars naturally.
3. Make Your Own Sugar Scrub to Get Rid of Scars Fast
You know sugar can make your life sweeter. Did you know that it can help heal acne scars, too?
Sugar contains glycolic acid, an important ingredient that helps remove dead skin and promotes cell regeneration. This makes sugar a great exfoliation agent to help reveal a smoother, softer skin.
Homemade Sugar Scrub
- In a small bowl, mix three teaspoons of brown sugar with two teaspoons of olive oil. Mix well. You can also mix one to two teaspoons of lemon juice on the mixture.
- Apply the scrub on affected areas in your face and let it stay on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash your face with mild soap then apply moisturizer after.
Do this once every two days to see the difference.
Here’s the best part: you can do this scrub at home. It helps you save extra cash, as well.
4. How to Get Rid of Scars on Face with the Help of Bees
Aside from sugar, honey is another ingredient that could make your life – and meals – sweeter. More than this, honey, specifically the raw variants from local beekeepers can also help reduce the appearance of scars on your face. This is because it is a natural moisturizer that helps in treating affected areas in your face and stimulates tissue regeneration.
Honey is easy to use as well. You can use honey as it is, apply on affected areas in your face, and allow your skin to absorb its healing and moisturizing nutrients. You can also try this technique:
- Mix two tablespoons of honey with one teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Cinnamon can be effective in cleansing your pores, thereby reducing the chances of acne and eventually, scarring.
- Apply the mixture on your face and massage it in circular motion. Make sure to focus on scarred areas.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes then wash your face with cold water after.
To get the best results, make sure to apply honey twice a week.
5. The Tropical Country’s Gift to the World to Treat Scars on Your Face
There are many types of oils in the world, but nothing could top the benefits of coconut oil.
You might ask why.
Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids, a component that acts as an antioxidant to prevent and reverse free radical damage. It is also an effective natural moisturizer that stimulates collagen production and softens your skin to speed up the healing process.
Here’s how you can enjoy coconut oil to help you on how to get rid of scars on face fast:
- Warm one teaspoon of coconut oil in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Apply the warm oil on affected areas in your face. Make sure to gently massage it in circular motion until your skin absorbs the oil. There is no need to wash your face as well, although if you felt the oil too heavy on your skin, let it stay for 30 minutes before rinsing it with water.
- Do this several times everyday and you will see an improvement in the appearance of your scars in just a few weeks.
You can get your supply of coconut oil in supermarkets and health and food stores.
Aside from coconut oil, you can try this other type of oil that truly works wonders on your skin.
6. Another Healthy Oil That is One of Your Scar’s Worst Nightmares
Another type of oil that comes with tons of health and skincare benefits is olive oil. When it comes to those stubborn marks, this one may come in handy, too.
When you rub olive oil in your skin, particularly in problem areas, you are exposing your skin to the oil’s vitamin E and K properties, both effective allies against scars. The virgin oil variant is also rich in antioxidants and has high acidity level, which could also help in lightening your scars.
You can rub olive oil on your face and allow your skin to absorb its nourishing properties. You can also try this technique:
- Apply olive oil on your face and rub it gently in a circular motion.
- Apply warm wash cloth over your face for steaming and to help open the pores.
- Once the wash cloth is a bit cold, use it to wipe your face and get rid of the excess oil.
7. Another Household Favorite in Getting Rid of That Stubborn Scar
You probably have aloe vera or an aloe plant in your home. Most of us use aloe vera for its many hair and skin benefits. It turns out that this wonderful plant can also be your best friend in the scars department.
Aloe vera is a potent source of vitamins and nutrients that could help regenerate skin tissue and reduce the size and appearance of scars. This herb also comes with soothing and moisturizing properties to increase the elasticity of scar tissues and minimize inflammation.
Since it is a natural moisturizer, aloe vera will only leave your skin softer and healthier after.
Aloe Vera for Facial Marks
- Cut an aloe vera leaf and half and squeeze out the herb’s gel.
- Apply the gel on scarred area and massage it gently on your skin for a few minutes.
- Let it dry on your skin before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Do this two to three times a day for a month or two and you will see an improvement in your skin in no time.
You can buy aloe vera gel in drug stores or natural food stores, but nothing beats fresh aloe from the backyard. You can start growing your own aloe plant, just in case you might need one in the future.
8. Look in Your Fridge to Find Out How to Get Rid of Scars on Face
The egg yolk is one of the healthiest foods around, but this doesn’t mean egg whites can’t keep up in the world of health benefits. Believe it or not, egg whites come with mending qualities to help your skin recover from scarring and make the marks less obvious. This is because egg whites are rich in protein and amino acids to tighten your pores and lighten the scarred skin.
Here’s how to enjoy egg white benefits on facial scars:
- Using one egg, separate the white from the yolk.
- Whip the egg whites until it becomes feathery.
- Dip your fingers and spread the egg whites on your skin. Make sure to focus on problem areas.
- Let the egg whites dry on your skin and let it stay for a few more minutes.
- Wash your face with warm water.
Make sure you do this two to three times a week to see a noticeable improvement.
9. A Surprising Type of Oil Worth Trying in Your Fight Against Scars
You might be scared to hear the word “oil,” but the truth is, there are oils that could do wonders to your skin. You already met coconut and olive oils and now, it’s time to meet tea tree oil.
Tea tree oil comes with powerful antibacterial properties to gradually remove scars, including acne scars and surgical scars.
Aside from its scar removing properties, this type of oil comes with skin-healing properties too, which makes it an ideal remedy against those marks on your face.
Tea Tree Oil for Scars
- Mix two drops of tea tree oil with one teaspoon of water. You can also use olive oil or almond oil for added benefits.
- Wash your face using this mixture then rinse your face with cool water.
A piece of advice: tea tree oil is strong, so make sure you dilute it with water. Despite its benefits, this oil should never be ingested.
10. This Natural Treatment Does More Than Just Remove Your Eye Bags
Cucumbers are among the best natural ingredients against scars – for a reason. Aside from its high water content that makes your skin hydrated, cucumber contains essential vitamins, such as vitamins A, C, and magnesium, which keeps your skin smooth, scar-free and healthy. Consequently, they are not acidic, thereby less likely to cause skin irritation.
Cucumber is easy to use. Simply slice a cucumber and lay the slices over affected areas on your face. Let it stay there for 30 minutes before washing it off with cold water.
11. Not Just for Fries: Potatoes to Help You Fight against Scars on Your Face
Finally, you have another use for potatoes. Aside from your usual fish and chips at home, you can use potatoes to remove facial scars naturally.
You might ask why.
Potato, especially its juice, is rich in vitamins and minerals that promote skin healing and overall health. There are two ways to enjoy potatoes as a scar fighting agent:
- Cut a few, thin slices of potato and apply them directly on scarred areas.
- Squeeze the juice out of one to two potatoes and massage the juice over your scars. Let it stay on your face for 15 to 20 minutes then rinse it with warm water.
Whatever choice you opt for, make sure you do this once a day for best results.
12. A Surprising But Effective Scar Treatment with Big Benefits
What comes to your mind when you hear the word, “fenugreek?” Most of the time, you associate it with enhancement products.
Did you know that you can use it to treat scars on your face?
Fenugreek seeds contain antioxidants that helps treat various skin issues, including acne scars, and minimizes inflammation. Consequently, it is a natural solution to treat pimple inflammation, which dates back to early civilization.
Fenugreek Seed Paste to Treat Facial Scarring
- In a small pan over medium heat, add two cups of water and two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds.
- Let it boil for 10 to 15 minutes then grind them until it turns into glue.
- Apply the glue on scarred areas and let it stay for 15 to 20 minutes only.
- Clean your face using a cotton ball.
Let’s say you don’t mind using scar removing products in the market. That’s fine. There are plenty of products available on how to get rid of scars fast. An example of this is Dermefface FX7. This scar removal treatment helps reduce the appearance of any kind of scars, including acne scars and injury scars on your face. Aside from this, Dermefface FX7 is among the best treatments on how to get rid of old scars on face.
You can also try other anti-scar products sold in the market, which you will learn more about below.
13. Stop Scars from Forming Further with Moy’s DNA Regeneration Serum
Suppose scars formed already on your face. The good news is you can still reduce their appearance and stop them from further damaging your skin while they are fresh. In that case, try the DNA Regeneration Serum.
This product contains growth factors that immediately stimulates collagen production, speeds up the growth of healthy skin cells and prevent new scars from turning into old ones.
This is particularly helpful if you noticed atrophic scars on your face or the type of scar that looks deep, sunken, and more of crater marks. This is because of the boost in collagen production, which makes it easier for your body to fill any gaps and holes. More collagen means thicker skin, which leads to less visibility of existing scars.
14. Say Goodbye to Dark Spots and Scars on Your Face with Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum
When it comes to lightening dark areas in your skin, one ingredient will always be part of the list: hydroquinone. Despite the controversies surrounding this ingredient, hydroquinone is still among the best tools to lighten any pigmentation in your skin. If you want to get rid of those pesky acne marks on your face, then this product is worth trying: Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum.
This fast-acting dark spot serum contains two percent hydroquinone to reduce the appearance of any age spots, scars, freckles, dark spots, and other forms of hyperpigmentation. It also contains glycolic acid to remove dead, dull, and dry skin cells that could contribute to further scarring. Vitamin C is another ingredient found in this product, which is an effective skin-brightening antioxidant.
Here comes the best part: this product is good for all skin types.
15. It’s Bye-Bye Stubborn Spots with Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator
There are two types of scars. These are:
- Scars that will respond well to treatments to reduce their appearance.
- Scars that stay on your face despite using many treatments and natural solutions to make them fade.
In case of stubborn spots, here is a product you can try aside from Dermefface FX7 and regular exfoliation: Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator.
This exfoliator has papaya enzymes that help break down dead skin cells to reveal a smoother, fresher, and healthier skin. It also contains microderm crystals to remove acne scars that chose to stay on your skin. Aside from these properties, this exfoliator has the following natural ingredients to further strengthen your anti-scar campaign and keep your skin nourished:
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin E
- Aloe vera
16. No More Deep Scars with Olay’s DIY Microdermabrasion Kit
Here is something you should know about rolling or boxcar scars: you can get rid of them through in-office procedures like laser treatment and microdermabrasion.
Here’s the catch: in-office procedures such as microdermabrasion can be a bit costly and time consuming, considering the travel time and doctor’s consultation.
The good news is there is a more affordable way you can get rid of deep scars while you are at the comfort of your own home. You can try Olay ProX Microdermabrasion Plus Advanced Cleaning System.
Olay’s microdermabrasion kit comes with a foam head and crystal polisher, which helps exfoliate your skin and cleanse it thoroughly to prevent future breakouts. It also stimulates the production of elastin and collagen to help fill deep scars and make them less noticeable.
These tricks on how to get rid of scars on your face won’t fail you. Still, this doesn’t mean you should rely on them alone. Nothing beats employing prevention techniques and stop scars even before they start to form on your face.
How will you do this? Read the next section to find out.
Stop Scars before They Strike with These Preventive Tips
Scars may be permanent, but this doesn’t mean you can let them take over your face. Here are simple but effective techniques to stop scars from forming:
- Cover deep cuts and wounds with bandages.
- Avoid sun exposure during the healing process to prevent the sun’s ultraviolet rays from hindering the healing process.
- Maintain a regular and thorough skincare regimen.
- Do not pick, prick, or pop pimples to reduce the chances of facial scarring.
- Get treatment for acne before it gets worse.
Scars may be permanent, but this doesn’t mean you have to live with it for good. There are various treatments, such as these 16 techniques, available to help you on how to get rid of scars on face. Take a pick and make sure to stick to it.