Do you want to know how to reduce acne scars to restore the smooth skin that you once had? There are various types of acne scar treatments available on the market that can reduce the appearance of acne scars. You just need to be aware of the treatment options that best suit your skin condition.
Most people get acne because of changes in hormonal levels.
Acne usually fades away without leaving stubborn scars. However, some people suffer from severe forms of acne, resulting in stubborn scarring.
What Is An Acne Scar?
Some types of acne leave behind red or brown marks as the skin heals. These marks go away after a few months without damaging the skin’s surface. These types of blemishes are temporary and differ from true acne scars.
True acne scars are permanent elevations or depressions on the skin’s surface that are usually caused by cystic acne that is typified by deep, hard and tender lesions. Inflamed pustular acne that is plugged with pus may also cause acne scars. The texture of the acne scars is different from the surrounding skin.
The scarring caused by acne can be mild, moderate or even severe. There are various types of acne scars such as:
- Ice Pick Scars: This is a deep scar with a narrow opening at the skin. The scar looks as if a small ice pick has punctured the skin.
- Rolling Scars: These scars look like a smooth indentation on the skin’s surface. They are usually shallow.
- Boxcar Scars: These scars have more rounded edges and they look more like chicken pox marks. They can be large in diameter and deep.
- Enlarged Pores: These scars look like enlarged pores on the skin.
Being properly informed is the best way to learn how to reduce acne scars and pimples. Read below to find out the treatment that can help you to fade your acne scars significantly.
How To Reduce Acne Scars With The Latest Treatments Administered By A Dermatologist
The recommended treatments for acne scars vary according to the type of scar and the amount of scarring that you have. Some of the latest treatments on how to reduce acne scarring that are usually performed by a dermatologist are mentioned below:
- Punch Graft: Punch graft treatments are done to treat severe forms of acne scarring. Ice pick acne scarring is best treated with this form of treatment. The complete process involves the removal of acne scars by excision and the wound is then sutured closed.
- Microdermabrasion: Another recommendation for how to reduce acne scars is to undergo microdermabrasion. It can be a harsh process and involves considerable recovery time. This treatment involves sanding off the top layers of the skin with the help of a handheld device. The device will blast very fine, sand-like particles on the skin. It is actually a very quick and painless procedure. You will need to apply a hydrating cream, a toner and a sunscreen to the face to prevent hyperpigmentation caused by exposure to the sun.
- Subcision: This treatment is done for acne scars that appear when the tissue bands are pulled downwards on the skin. It involves inserting a needle underneath the scar, which helps to break it and release the skin.
- Dermal Fillers: Dented acne scars benefit from dermal fillers. There are numerous types of fillers such as collagen, hyaluronic acid, silicone or synthetic products. The fillers are injected into the acne scars to stimulate the formation of collagen as well as to fill the scar. When undergoing dermal fillers treatment for acne scars, it is recommended to go very slowly.
This is because the rate of collagen formation varies from person to person and it is always easier to address an undergrowth of collagen than excessive growth.
- Dermaplaning: This treatments works by removing the upper layers of skin with the help of a sharp razor. Your dermatologist may perform this treatment to reduce scars or before chemical peels to allow deeper penetration of the chemicals.
- Laser Therapy: Laser treatments for acne scars such as smoothbeam, fraxel and carbon dioxide can help to significantly improve acne and scars. The process works by sloughing off the top layers of the skin. Depending on the severity of the procedure, there can be certain side effects such as inflammation, redness, and hypo or hyperpigmentation of the skin.
- Skin Lifting: Skin lifting is an acne scarring treatment that helps to treat scars that are numerous and shallow. Skin lifting and tightening procedures considerably lessen the appearance of scarring. This treatment is only suitable for mild scars and not for severe ones such as ice pick scars.
- Chemical Peels: The most common recommendation for how to reduce acne scars is to undergo a chemical peel. Peels are available in a variety of strengths and concentrations. Strong chemicals are applied on the face and they actually peel away the top layers of the skin. A stronger chemical peel is needed for improving deep acne scars. Your dermatologist will prescribe the right type of chemical peel for your acne scars.
Although effective, chemical treatments can be very damaging to the skin, especially if your skin is very sensitive. Fortunately, there are many ways to treat scars safely and naturally. Keep reading to find out how to reduce acne scars naturally.
How To Reduce Acne Scars: 3 Natural Treatments.
Exfoliation of the top layers of the skin is an effective way to reduce the appearance of acne scars. You can use the below mentioned natural ingredients for exfoliation.
- Baking Soda: This is a mild abrasive that helps to reduce the appearance of scars. You just need to add a few drops of water to one tablespoons of baking soda to prepare an effective exfoliating face mask.
- Sugar Face Mask: You will need a few strawberries, some drops of olive oil and one tablespoon of raw or table sugar to prepare the sugar face mask.
- Red Lentils: Soak a tablespoon of red lentils in water overnight. Prepare a paste in the morning and add a few drops of honey and milk. Using this paste regularly helps to get rid of deep scars and will enhance your complexion.
Some other natural tips on how to reduce acne scars include following a balanced and nutritious diet. Drinking plenty of water and lemon juice and avoiding spicy and junk foods help to enhance the shedding of dead skin cells effectively.
Vegetables and fruits composed of vitamins and minerals can stimulate the growth of fresh skin cells to replace the scars. You should also use a natural scar reducing cream known as Dermefface FX7 to help erase the scars caused by acne and improve your complexion.
The safe and effective ingredients used in this topical treatment make it easy to get back your beautiful skin quickly.