According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne affects up to 50 million Americans annually, making it the most common skin condition in the United States. This may not pose a serious medical threat, but acne could take a toll in your physical appearance and self-esteem. Worse, acne could turn into scarring, which is another issue you may want to solve.
The good news is there natural acne scar treatment options available to help you get rid of and prevent acne scars, even before they start to form. Check out these 16 techniques on natural acne treatment you shouldn’t miss.
1. A Little Squeeze Goes a Long Way: Get Rid of Acne Scars Naturally with Lemons
When it comes to DIY and natural treatments, lemons will always be in the spotlight. In case you are worried about acne scarring, lemon can also be helpful.
This is because fresh lemon juice contains L-ascorbic acid, a common astringent that helps dry pimple inflammation. At the same time, it has antibacterial properties that kill acne-producing properties to prevent acne scarring even before it forms on your skin.
All you need is two to three drops of lemon juice and soak a cotton ball in it. Apply in on affected areas and let it stay for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
This leads you to another technique on how to use lemon juice for treating acne scars.
2. Lemon Juice and Glycerin: A Combination Worth Trying
Admit it. You seldom pay attention to glycerin and have no idea about what it can do for you and your pimples. Don’t worry. It turns out that this particular ingredient, coupled with lemon juice is among the best ways for acne scar removal.
Glycerin has saturating properties that allows your pores to inhale and secure regular dampness. It also treats obstructed pores by filling small breaks and voids your skin for a healthier and smoother look.
Here’s how you can use it:
- Mix three teaspoons of lemon juice and three drops of glycerin.
- Apply the mixture on affected areas and leave it on your skin for one hour.
This will keep your skin smooth while reducing the appearance of scars.
3. Consider a Fenugreek Seeds Remedy for Natural Acne Scar Treatment
In case you are looking for an alternative treatment for acne scars, you might want to consider fenugreek.
Also known as Greek hayseed, fenugreek contains powerful antioxidants that helps treat various skin issues including pimple scars. Fenugreek also reduces pimple inflammation, thereby preventing scars even before they decide to perform.
Below is the proper way to use fenugreek as acne scars removal:
- Heat two cups of water and two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds.
- Let it boil for a few minutes then grind the mixture into glue.
- Apply small amounts on your face and massage it gently.
- Allow the mixture to stay on your skin for 15 minutes before rinsing it with warm water.
4. You Can Never Go Wrong with a Baking Soda and Water Treatment
Baking soda is one of the staple kitchen ingredients because of its many uses. Did you know that you can also use baking soda as a treatment for acne scars?
Baking soda comes with exfoliating properties, which helps remove dirt, oil, and dead skin cells. It also balances the pH level of your skin and allows its anti-inflammatory properties to work hard to ease any irritation and red marks caused by acne scarring.
The simplest way is to mix two tablespoons of baking soda with one tablespoon of water. This should be enough to make a paste, although you can add more to adjust and until you achieve the desired consistency. Apply it on your face while concentrating on scarred areas. Make sure to massage it gently in circular motion.
Let the mixture dry on your skin for five t 10 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water. Don’t forget to do this twice a week for best results.
5. Scrub Acne Scars Away with This Homemade Sugar Scrub
You don’t need to look further when it comes to scrubs. All you have to do is to open your kitchen cabinet and you will surely find ingredients that could help minimize the appearance of scars. In this case, try sugar.
Sugar is a natural exfoliant that contains glycolic acid, a type of alpha hydroxy acids that removes dirt and dead skin cells. At the same time, sugar promotes cell regeneration to reveal a younger and healthier skin.
Here’s how to make your own sugar scrub:
- Mix three teaspoons of sugar with two teaspoons of olive oil.
- Add more until you achieve a desired consistency.
- Apply the mixture on your face and let it stay for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
Make sure to do this at least four times a week to enjoy the benefits of homemade sugar scrub.
6. More Than Just for Eye Bags: Cucumber as a Treatment for Acne
You might be tempted to try anti-scarring products sold in the market and see what will work. That’s fine. After all, there are many products like acne scar treatment cream sold in the market that could help clear your skin. Here’s the catch: it might contain ingredients you can’t even pronounce, which could do more harm than good in your skin.
Thankfully, there are many natural ways to help you get rid of acne scars or even prevent them before they start to form. One of them is cucumber.
Cucumber has high water content, which makes it naturally hydrating. At the same time, it is rich in essential nutrients like vitamins A and C, and magnesium, which are great for your skin.
How do you use cucumber as a natural acne scar treatment? All you have to do is to cut thin slices of cucumber and lay them over your scarred skin. Let it stay for 30 minutes then wash your face with cold water. Do this every night and you will see an improvement in no time.
7. Healing Acne Scars with the Help of Egg Whites
It turns out that egg is more than just a staple food on the table during breakfast. In fact, egg whites have powerful healing qualities that allow you to say goodbye to ace scars.
How is this possible?
Egg whites contain protein and amino acids that could tighten your pores and prevents new breakouts while lightening the scarred skin. It also has mending qualities that helps your skin recuperate and recover from the trauma brought by acne.
Here’s how you can enjoy the skin benefits of egg whites:
- Separate egg white from the yolk.
- In a small bowl, whip one egg until it starts feathery and white.
- Spread the egg whites on your skin and focus on problem areas.
- Let it stay on your skin until it starts feeling tight.
- Wash your face after with warm water.
Two to three times a week is enough to enough to enjoy the benefits of egg whites.
How are you so far? There are still many natural techniques on healing acne scars, so make sure you read until the end.
8. Ice, Ice Baby: A Surprising Entry, But Works Effectively Against Acne Scars
Do you want to know a secret? You might want to save the ice cube trays because it turns out that ice could bring many skin benefits. This includes minimizing the appearance of acne scarring, which is good news for those who suffer with them.
The question now is how does ice works? What can ice do against pimple scars that makes it promising?
It turns out that ice helps contract your skin and tightens pores. All you have to do is to wrap ice cubes in a wash cloth then massage it on your face. Rub it for 10 to 15 minutes to tighten your pores and reduce inflammation. This could also help reduce any redness and improve the appearance of your skin.
Here’s the catch: ice is not capable of removing acne scare. At the same time, it doesn’t work well with all types of scars. In fact, this treatment works best only for atrophic and hypertrophic scars. If you have acne scars that resembles an ice pick or deep scars with steep edges, then you might want to consider other options below.
9. Finally, Say Goodbye to Acne Scars Using Olive Oil
Who says olive oil is just for the kitchen? Thankfully, you can use this staple kitchen ingredient to help you say goodbye to acne scars and prevent them from coming back. This is because olive oil is a great source of iron, vitamins, and other nutrients that helps keep your skin healthy and happy.
Nonetheless, the main event is vitamin E. It is an important component that keeps your skin healthy and clear. Consequently, olive oil is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that prevents acne and even stops scars from forming even before they decide to go out of your skin.
Olive Oil for Acne Scars
- Massage olive oil gently in your skin, concentrating on affected area. Do this for five to 10 minutes.
- Apply a warm washcloth over your face. This will act as a steam that could help open pores to make it easier to remove the trapped dirt and bacteria on your face.
- Wipe away the excess oil.
- Do this procedure one to two times before capping it off with cold water
Aside from olive oil, there is another type of oil hat deserves your attention. As to what it is, you will know about it in the next section.
10. A List of Natural Treatments Will Never be Complete without Coconut Oil in It
When it comes to the best natural moisturizers with healing properties, one name will always take the spotlight: coconut oil.
It turns out that coconut oil is one of the best oils with both moisturizing and recuperating properties. It also contains essential vitamins and nutrients that will surely keep your skin healthy and prevent acne scars from taking over your skin.
The best part is it is readily available and easy to use.
- Scoop coconut oil onto the palm of your hand and let it dissolve.
- Apply coconut oil on your skin, specifically concentrating in troubled areas.
- You can let the oil stay on your face overnight or leave it on for 30 minutes then wash your face with warm water.
What are you waiting for? Go to the nearest supermarket and get your face an instant booster with the help of coconut oil.
11. Tea Tree Oil: Another Natural Ingredient that Works Best Against Acne Scars
You might be scared to use oils on your face out of fear that it will clog your pores and make your skin even oilier. The truth is there are oils that works best on your skin, keep it healthy, and protects you against scarring.
One of them is tea tree oil.
Tea tree oil contains terpinen-4, a type of antimicrobial component that eliminates acne-causing bacteria on your face. It also heals wounded skin and helps moisturize and restore your skin’s natural oil balance. That’s not all. This oil can also penetrate deeply into the pores to eliminate toxins and other dead skin cells.
Below are tips on how to use tea tree oil against acne scars:
- Combine one-half teaspoon of tea tree oil with two teaspoons of water or one tablespoon of olive oil. Mix well.
- Apply the mixture on your face and let it stay for a minimum of 10 minutes
- Rinse your face with warm water then pat it dry.
You can apply moisturizer on your face after since tea tree oil is a concentrated solution. Make sure to dilute it and never use it as it is.
12. Aloe Vera: Helping You Get Rid of Acne Scars One Herb at a Time
You often associate aloe vera as an effective hair treatment. It turns out that this herb could also do so much for you and your skin, especially when it comes to acne scars.
How is this possible?
Aloe vera is a potent source of vitamins and nutrients that soothes your skin and helps heal and fade acne scars. It is also a natural moisturizer that leaves your skin smoother, softer, and healthier. Don’t worry. Aloe vera is gentle on your skin, so you don’t have to worry about irritating or damaging your skin.
To use aloe vera on acne scars, simply cut the leaf in half and scoop the gel. Apply the gel on your face, concentrating on affected areas. Allow your skin to absorb and enjoy its nutrients by letting it stay on your skin for 30 minutes.
You might be tempted to buy aloe vera in drug stores. While this may be convenient, it is best to go for aloe vera that grows naturally to make sure that the nutrients are still intact. You can also buy potted aloe plants since it requires little maintenance. This makes aloe more accessible for you.
In case you plan to buy something from drug stores, why not Dermefface FX7? This scar removal cream is capable of diminishing the look of most scars, including acne scars. Thanks to its seven clinically proven active ingredients, 10 potent antioxidants and five super moisturizers, this ultimate scar-fade technology surely won’t disappoint.
13. Honey: Another Popular Remedy to Treat Acne Scars
There are many natural treatments available to address scarring condition. If any of the first 12 products didn’t work well for you, then there is another ingredient you can try: honey.
Honey is a natural moisturizer that helps heal scars. At the same time, it is easy to use since all you have to do is to scoop a teaspoon of honey and apply it on your face. Make sure that you apply it in gentle, circular motion and allow your skin to absorb its nutrients. After 10 minutes, wash your face with cool water.
If you want an added pore-cleansing power, you can mix two tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
Here’s a reminder: make sure you go for raw honey and not the processed ones you buy in supermarkets. These variants were stripped off their nutrients, which makes them less effective and less beneficial. Check natural health care stores or your local farmer’s market for your supply of raw honey.
14. A Slice of Potato a Day Could Keep Acne Scars Away
How can you say no to French fries, potato wedges, crosscut fries, and mashed potato? This favorite side dish will surely make every meat dish complete.
Did you know that potatoes can also be effective in getting your pimple scars treated?
Potatoes are rich in vitamin and minerals that could facilitate healing of your skin. This boosts healing of acne and helps prevent scars from forming.
Various Ways on How to Use Potato Juice against Acne Scars
- Cut few thin slices then apply them directly on your face, focusing the affected areas. Leave it on your skin for 30 minutes then wash your face with warm water.
- Cut thicker slices of potato then massage their juices over your scars. After 15 minutes, rinse your face with warm water.
Do this once a day and you will see the results in no time.
15. More than Just a Spice: Turmeric Powder as a Natural Acne Scar Treatment
You may not like the smell, but believe it or not, turmeric powder can offer so many things. This includes getting rid of acne scars.
Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which are useful and effective in treating acne. At the same time, it has the capability of destroying P. acnes bacteria, the bacteria causing inflammation that leads to acne. That’s not all. This spice helps remove excess oil from your skin, which could also contribute to acne.
How should you use it? Here’s how:
- Combine four tablespoons each of turmeric powder and raw honey, and one tablespoon milk.
- Mix well until it forms a paste-like consistency.
- Apply on your face, concentrating on problem areas.
- Let it stay on your face for 20 minutes then rinse with cool water.
16. Apple Cider Vinegar: Another Solution for Your Pimple Scars
One of the greatest contributions in the world of skin health, it’s no surprise that apple cider vinegar can also help in treating not just acne but also the scars that come with it.
Apple cider vinegar or ACV comes with the following benefits:
- An astringent
- A natural disinfectant and antiseptic
- Contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Removes dead skin cells
Here’s how you can use ACV for acne scars:
- Mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar.
- Dip a cotton ball on the mixture.
- Apply the cotton ball directly on acne scars and let it stay for five to 10 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
Make sure to do this daily and your skin will reward you.
Some Final Words
These 16 natural acne scar treatment options will help you say goodbye to acne and prevent scars from forming. Still, keep in mind that these natural treatments may or may not work for you. Even if it does, there is a possibility that it will take time before you see favorable and noticeable results.
Be patient, make a choice, and then stick to it.