Dark spots can appear anywhere in the body, but commonly on the face and shoulders. A lot of people believe aging is the main cause of dark spots, but this is not true. Dark spots usually appear as you age, but the real main causes of dark spots are prolonged exposure to UV rays or sunlight, genes and skin trauma due to acne, cuts, injury from accidents, infections and allergic reactions to certain skincare products.
Of the three causes, prolonged sun exposure is the most common, since outdoor activities are unavoidable. Exposure to the ultraviolet rays activates melanocytes, the cells in the skin that produce melanin.Too much exposure triggers the melanocytes to produce excessive amounts of melanin in the skin hat tend to cluster certain areas on the skin as you age.
Dark spots always get in the way of looking perfect. If you are tired of concealing them with thick makeup and if expensive creams do not seem to work, perhaps you should try one of the nature’s best remedy when it comes to dark spots.Lemon juice not only adds flavor to desserts, salads and marinades, but it can effectively lighten your dark spots, as well, without emptying your wallet.
Lemon juice contains vitamin C, calcium, potassium and magnesium, as well as antioxidants and minerals known to lighten and improve the appearance of your skin.
Antioxidants, such as vitamin C can lessen the amount of melanin when applied on your skin regularly. The citric acid in lemon juice also aids exfoliation or the process of removing dead skin cells, so the new skin cells can surface. Dead skin cells can make the skin look dull, but with lemon juice, your skin can keep looking young and healthy.
Here are ways you can incorporate lemon juice in your daily beauty regimen. But before that, keep in mind that lemon juice is acidic and will make your skin sensitive to sunlight, so don’t forget to use sunscreen after your lemon regimen.
1. Lemon Juice Spot Treatment
Things you’ll need are one lemon, cotton balls, small bowl, strainer and a knife.
What to do:
- Before slicing the lemon in half, roll it between your palms or on a flat surface, applying light pressure to release the juice from the pulp.
- Cut the lemon in half, and then squeeze it through a strainer or cheesecloth or muslin cloth to separate the juice from the seeds and pulp.
- Put the juice in a bowl. With the use of a cotton ball, gently dab the juice on the dark spots you want to lighten.
- Rinse with cool water once the lemon juice dries on the skin. The perfect time to use lemon juice spot treatment would be before taking a bath in the morning, then repeat it in the evening.
- Keep doing this until the spots lighten.
2. Lemon Juice Scrub
Things you’ll need are a lemon, a half teaspoon of sugar, a knife and a saucer. Sugar not only act as gentle exfoliating beads that remove dead skin cells, but it is a natural humectant that attracts moisture from your environment to your skin, so it helps the skin stay hydrated, and it also contains glycolic acid that promotes the growth of new skin cells.
What to do:
Slice a fresh lemon in half crosswise. Remove the seeds with a fork or your fingers, but don’t squeeze.
- Keep the sliced lemon aside as you prepare a half teaspoon of sugar in a saucer.
- Dip the exposed side of the lemon into the sugar, and then gently rub the dipped side in the area with dark spots. It is an effective way to exfoliate dead skin cells that can help lighten dark spots.
- Let the mixture dry before rinsing it off with water.
- You can do this once a week until dark spots become less visible.
3. Skin Lightening Mask
Things you’ll need include a small bowl, a spoon for mixing and skin moisturizer. Ingredients include a tablespoon of each: lemon juice, tomato juice, cucumber juice and sandalwood paste.
Tomato juice is rich in nutrients that can help lighten the skin, maintain pH balance, tighten pores and cure acne.
Cucumber juice is a natural skin lightener that hydrates the skin, as well. Sandalwood helps keep the skin clear, soft and protected because of its anti-bacterial properties.
What to do:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly distributed and form a paste.
- Apply on the face is covering the area of a face mask.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes before rinsing it off thoroughly with water alone.
- Apply moisturizer to keep the skin supple.
- Do this two to three times a week.
4. Skin Lightening For Dry Skin
Things you’ll need are a small bowl, a spoon for mixing and skin moisturizer. Ingredients include one teaspoon of lemon juice, two drops of essential oil, one tablespoon of pure honey and one tablespoon of powdered milk.
Essential oils such as lavender or tea tree oils among many others can keep the skin moisturized and retain its youthful glow.
Honey is a natural moisturizer and rich in antioxidants to slow down aging and keep the radiant.Its antibacterial properties also keep the skin protected. Powdered milk contains healthy fats to keep the skin hydrated, contains lactic acid to lighten your skin and Alpha hydroxyl acid that penetrates deep into the skin to gently remove dead skin cells.
What to do:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl until completely distributed.
- Apply on the area with dark spots.
- Let it stay for 20 to 25 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
- Apply moisturizer to keep the skin from further dryness.
- Do this twice a week.
5. Natural Exfoliation Recipe
Things you’ll need: a small bowl, a spoon for mixing and skin moisturizer. Ingredients include one teaspoon of lemon juice, one raw egg white, one tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of brown sugar.
Egg white has exfoliating and skin tightening effects, but some skincare reviews revealed that it contains bacteria that can trigger breakouts for some people, so it’s best to add honey because of its antibacterial properties.
What to do:
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Massage the mixture gently with your fingers in a circular motion onto your skin.
- Let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off thoroughly.
- Apply moisturizer.
- Do this twice a week, but for people with sensitive skin do it once a week.
If you’re worried about your acne marks, you can easily get rid of it with topical creams, like Dermefface Fx7. It is a quick-absorbing scar cream made of active ingredients, antioxidants and moisturizers that can effectively eliminate damaged skin cells and aids in the production of new healthy skin cells.